Katharine “Kathy” Shaw is a member of the firm’s Labor and Employment Team with a primary focus on Employee Benefits. Licensed in Illinois*, she harnesses more than 20 years of experience and brings a unique understanding of employee benefit plans but also how those plans are implemented and administered.
Kathy has negotiated, drafted and reviewed various documents including contracts and pension plans as well as prospectuses and government settlements.
Specifically, her practice covers the following areas in employee benefits:
- Compliance issues raised under ERISA, the Internal Revenue Code, HIPAA and securities laws
- Negotiating contracts and human resources provisions in corporate transactions
- Planning human resources and benefit program consolidation following corporate mergers, spin-offs and other restructuring transactions.
- Reviewing plan designs and assisting with plan implementation
- Executive compensation, including non-qualified deferral plans subject to IRS Code Section 409A, stock award and stock option awards and employment agreements
- Navigating the requirements of Health Care Reform
- Submitting applications to and negotiating with the Internal Revenue Service
- Implementing and complying with health privacy laws, including conducting privacy training for benefits staff
*Katharine's license application in the State of Wisconsin is pending.